Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Orientation (Part Two)

I didn't mention this before, but if you're flying to Asia, Singapore Air is REALLY nice. 

I'm waiting to be called up for my medical check-up.  Although Korea seems to really like America, they're also very paranoid that we're going to give everybody HIV. 

Yesterday, we had breakfast, a brief campus tour (look at all the rooms we have classes in!), then lunch.  After lunch, we got a pretty neat little concert from the Aura Orchestra with traditional Korean instruments.  We had an interesting lecture about Korean history and a little bit of culture, although some of my fellow orientees seemed to disagree with my assessment of its interest value.  Then we went back to our smaller classes (I am in Group 4) and got split up into smaller groups for the practice lesson we have to do.  Our lesson plan thing seems way easier than I thought it would be (3 of us to do a 15 minute lecture from a list of topics).  After dinner I basically went immediately to bed and slept 12 hours.  Considering how much we're doing over the next few days, the jet lag isn't THAT terrible.

Internet access isn't perfect here (the LAN cables they gave us are long enough only to reach one desk, so my roommate and I sort of take turns).  Hopefully I'll be able to do some more substantial and meaningful posts (maybe with pictures) later on. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you are getting settled in. How is the food? My nephew married a Korean and she introduced us to some of the food, though I cannot remember the names. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures. I'm very interested in all that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're safe and getting settled. So are you going to be teaching in Daejon? And if so, how does that measure up to your hopes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know how the martial arts lesson goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've mostly had cafeteria food, but it's been pretty decent. I'm not in Daejon, that's just where orientation is. Tomorrow I'll know. I wish I was in Daejon! It's a biggish city.

    The martial arts lesson was cool. Apparently the instructor is A BIG DEAL here. Although it was more of a strenous workout and not too much Taekwondo, but hard to do martial arts with 100 people at once.

    ReplyDelete