Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Random Blurb On Korea And Cancer

It might just be me, but Korean people seem really worried about cancer.

A lovely Korean lady in Emart (it's amazing how random people speak English) gave me a sample of yogurt drink and eagerly told me that it helped prevent cancer. 

I've also heard the same about kimchi, which is apparently a miracle food that cures everything from cancer to the common cold. 

I love weekends.  I love having weekends off again.  That's awesome.  Today I went around for a bit with another EPIK teacher and some of her friends from orientation.  Lots of fun, although I'm a bit jealous of her situation (she got a really posh apartment and what sounds like a completely sweet job; I feel a bit screwed in comparison).  Then again, plenty of others have it worse off, so I need to try a bit harder to look on the bright side.

Korean people are generally quite nice, especially when they're not terrified about speaking English.  Or even when they have no English sometimes.  I'm getting better at communicating with very few words, so I get awfully proud of myself when I can tell a cab driver a destination.  One of the cabs I took today had a lovely driver who was so friendly without saying anything in English.  I think he asked if I was Filipino.  Fortunately, I know how to say "America" in Korean!  미국 ("mi [me] gook). There's your word of the day people!  I think he told me my Korean or Korean pronunciation was really good, which I found quite amusing.  Or he could have been saying something else entirely, I just shrugged and smiled, and he kept talking.

By the way-try dak galbi if you're in Korea!  Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment